[dns-operations] Announcement - DNS flag day on 2019-02-01

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Jun 15 05:49:43 UTC 2018

* Mark Andrews:

> There are too many religious nuts with firewalls.
>
> We should argue that NAT64 should set DF=0 on UDP packets <= 1280.  I don’t
> think this is covered by any RFC one way or another.  That would remove
> any need to keep state in the server.

Similar suggestions were made in the past.  The IETF and their
processes gave us RFC 6946 instead.

As far as I can tell, the best approach is to be non-compliant, never
produce atomic fragments, and stay a little bit below the 1280 limit
for the benefit of tunnels in tunnels in tunnels.  I came up with 1200
bytes as the limit, but it's of course rather arbitrary (but so was
1280).