[dns-operations] Announcement - DNS flag day on 2019-02-01

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 14 22:14:27 UTC 2018

No, a you just fragment at network MTU. The IETF even specified a setsockopt in the advanced socket API to tell the kernel to do that.

Named uses that on any response that could cause fragmentation is encapsulated over Ethernet.  Named used to just set it but Geoff complained about “unnecessary” fragmentation between 1280 and 1500 byte UDP packets.

Named also drops TCP segment sizes similarly to reduce the probability of PMTUD occurring.

--
Mark Andrews