[dns-operations] debug tool to generate DNS response?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Jan 27 20:06:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2018, at 10:31, Yang Yu wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a DNS server/debug tool that can respond to selected
>> queries with a crafted (potentially broken) response, like BadSSL for
>> DNS. Ideally all flags/codes should be customizable. This is quite
>> helpful for testing DNS clients.
>>
>> For example, aaaa-servfail.example.org returns NoError for A but
>> ServFail for AAAA.
>

> There are a bunch of such tools. CoreDNS (https://coredns.io/) seems pretty
> flexible and easy to use.

I've never used that one, but I've always been partial to Ray Bellis'
evldns - https://github.com/raybellis/evldns It's very flexible,
fairly easy to use, and nice and fast.

Another nice option is the Python scapy tool -
https://github.com/secdev/scapy . Scapy allows you to do all sorts of
dangerous things really easily.