[dns-operations] blockchain DNS

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Jan 27 19:16:35 UTC 2018

>>> Would you think blockchain will change DNS world with uncentered
>>> way in future?
>>
>> No.  They don't scale, and they don't solve any real world problems.
>
> Well, takedowns (as in the Sci-Hub case) are certainly a real-world
> problem. We may discuss the wisdom of trying to solve a political
> problem with a technical solution, but we cannot deny there is a
> problem.

For every Sci-Hub, there are a dozen Daily Stormers and a thousand fake
phish banks, fake "Canadian" pharmacies, and other malicious sites.  The
history of name registries that don't deal with illegal activities is, to
put it mildly, unpleasant.  If you haven't seen any of them, that's not a
coincidence, other networks tend not to accept their traffic.

For the specific issue of Sci-Hub, academics claim they want open access
to their papers, at least in developing countries, but they send those
papers to publishers like Elsevier who charge $30 a peek.  They need to
make up their minds.  And while the technology of an online open access
journal is straightforward, nobody's figured out how to do for free the
useful part of what Elsevier does, gatekeepers and reviewers who find the
publication-worthy stuff in the mountain of garbage.

These are real problems but I don't see any way blockchains wouldn't make
them worse.  They don't solve real world problems.

Regards,