[dns-operations] everything is about russia now, it seems

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Jan 26 15:07:27 UTC 2018

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org
> <mailto:paul at redbarn.org>> wrote:
>
>     i am quoted here saying "this is all just foolishness and sabre
>     rattling, and won't happen" or words to that effect.
>
>     https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/could-russia-really-build-its-own-alternate-internet
>     <https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/could-russia-really-build-its-own-alternate-internet>
>

> ​I have been warning something of the sort will happen for years. Not
> that that gets us anywhere.
>
> The concentration of power in ICANN is something US citizens seem to
> have no difficulty with. I understand why folk who are not US citizens
> might have a difficulty with it and I don't think the recent changes
> addressed the actual concerns.
>

> What I care about is people having control over their own communications
> and the current infrastructure does not give that to me. Facilities like
> DNSSEC and DPRIV could do that in principle but we don't have the right
> package yet.

/ belatedly...

I think that unless there's a fundamental shift in the overall
governance structure of the global internet, this kind of net/split is
inevitable, and I too have said so for years.

Of all spaces, this is the internet, surely we should know, in Jim
Rogers' words "if history teaches us nothing else, it teaches us this:
what appears undisputed today will look very different tomorrow"

Moving management of the root away from NTIA was the major opportunity
do something with it that would alleviate some of these tensions, but
just handing it to ICANN was probably anti-climactic in that sense and
only aggravates the risk profile of non-US participants. Practically
speaking of course "where else?" was probably the driving force behind
where it ended up.

Overall the namespace as we know it today, the entire ecosystem is
lethargic and complacent and ripe for disruption. That disruption will
likely originate from some unanticipated direction, like
blockchain/decentralization (I remembered this thread and that I
intended to post here because I just wrote a post about DNS/blockchain
on the oarc list).

But anybody who thinks that the entire world is just going to go along
and let their geo-political interests be routinely superseded by what's
in place now (US-centric), or that naming in general will be immune from
technology driven disruption is kidding themselves.

- mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.