[dns-operations] =?gb2312?b?tPC4tDogIExpbWl0IG9uIE5hbWUgU2VydmVy?= =?gb2312?b?cyAmIHRoZWlyIElQcyBmb3IgYSBzdWItZG9tYWlu?=

=?gb2312?B?RGF2ZXkgU29uZyjLzsHWvaEp?= ljsong at biigroup.cn
Thu Jan 18 02:57:39 UTC 2018

Hi James,

I once asked the very question years ago. I have some experience and
understanding on that.

The limit of 13 is in people's mind for long time. A typical example is 13
root servers. Although limit of 13 has technically long gong, but it became
a inertia as a operation choice. Other number limit does not change the
situation if you still using UDP to transmit DNS message.

You may have heard that Yeti DNS project(http://yeti-dns.org ) in which the
scaling issue is one of topic. To your question, I composed a post in Yeti
blog. Hope it will help.

http://yeti-dns.org/yeti/blog/2018/01/12/How-to-scale-the-root.html

Best regards,
Davey

> -----ÓʼþÔ­¼þ-----
> ·¢¼þÈË: dns-operations [mailto:dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net] ´ú±í
> James Stevens
> ·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2018Äê1ÔÂ11ÈÕ 23:11
> ÊÕ¼þÈË: dns-operations
> Ö÷Ìâ: [dns-operations] Limit on Name Servers & their IPs for a sub-domain
>
> I am aware of the "traditional" limit of 13 NS records for a sub-domain,
is it
> considered that this still applies?
>
> A live test I ran indicated that multiple IPv4/IPv6 records for the name
name
> server get (roughly) the name number of queries.
>
> But, I only tested a small number of address - is there some reason (e.g.
packet