[dns-operations] everything is about russia now, it seems

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Jan 18 00:07:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> i am quoted here saying "this is all just foolishness and sabre rattling,
> and won't happen" or words to that effect.
>
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/could-
> russia-really-build-its-own-alternate-internet

​I have been warning something of the sort will happen for years. Not that
that gets us anywhere.

The concentration of power in ICANN is something US citizens seem to have
no difficulty with. I understand why folk who are not US citizens might
have a difficulty with it and I don't think the recent changes addressed
the actual concerns.

What I care about is people having control over their own communications
and the current infrastructure does not give that to me. Facilities like
DNSSEC and DPRIV could do that in principle but we don't have the right
package yet.

​