[dns-operations] the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 11:11:35 UTC 2018

On 11/12/17 17:15, David Conrad wrote:
> For the record and as I suspect you’re well aware, the actual real
> reason for ICANN’s gTLD expansion was to increase competition in the
> namespace. Some folks felt that Verisign had an effective monopoly and
> “the community” felt the best way to address that monopoly was to create
> additional top-level domains.

Ironically, with Verisign looking like that are about to start dot-WEB -
which many see as one of the most desirable new-GTLDs - and most of the
other new-GTLDs seeming to struggle some what - it looks like Verisign's
hold on the domain space could be about to increase, not decrease.

In studies I have seen, it is not untypical for about two-thirds of
ccTLD domains to use only COM & NET name servers.