[dns-operations] Limit on Name Servers & their IPs for a sub-domain

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 11 22:54:50 UTC 2018

And if you were to do this today you would get a smaller number than 13

512-12-1-2-2-1-2-2-4-2-19-y*(15+16+28)+15

y needs to <=8 for this to remain positive

16 bytes for each A record.
28 bytes for each AAAA record.
15 bytes for each additional NS record.

If we ever get to the state where the roots are IPv6 only, 11 servers will fit.