[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Lame delegation in .CD with a NS . and non answering NS

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Mon Jan 8 17:00:06 UTC 2018

Quoting Stephane Bortzmeyer on Monday January 08, 2018:

> > Have you tried the contacts IANA publishes for the TLD?
>
> Fact-checking: they are purely declarative and are not tested by
> IANA. Their quality is... not always good. But you're welcome to try
> :-)

Not quite... they are checked upon submission of a root zone change
request (to the consternation of some) and tested annually, with
reported failures (email bounces, returned postal mail) resulting in
proactive outreach via alternative channels to try and remedy if we
can.

Another few options: sometimes we (IANA) have informal additional
contacts that are not published (that either we know operationally,
or can obtain through our stakeholder engagement team). If you've
tried the published contacts with no success and you feel there is
an urgent issue that warrants it, please get in touch to see if we
can facilitate. Secondly, for ccTLDs, there is the TLD-OPS project
(https://ccnso.icann.org/en/resources/tld-ops-secure-communication.htm)
which has 350 private escalation contacts for many ccTLDs (but, alas,
not .cd).

kim