[dns-operations] the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jan 1 16:31:28 UTC 2018

>> in their DB. It does /not/ take into account the total size of the
>> population, thus the numbers pose no significant surprise, because if
>> its an /abuse database/, so what do you expect to find?
>
>spamhaus also has a passive dns database, so, they do know about domains
>which have not been reported as abusive.

Right.  Their numbers are based on the ratio of abused to domains to
all the domains they see, and they see a lot.  Nobody (other than the
registry's Business Plan) cares about parked domains with no traffic.

>you're publishing stats, can you share the URL here? if you're willing
>to share your full 2LD list confidentially with spamhaus for research
>purposes, that would be even more informative.

ICANN contracts require all gTLD zone files to be available on
request.  Most of them are now through CZDS which has a fairly
annoying manual setup to request the zones, but fully scriptable zone
downloads.  I think this includes all of Uniregistry's gTLDs.

R's,
John