[dns-operations] DNS protocol implementation test suite

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Wed Feb 7 06:43:42 UTC 2018

On 7.2.2018 02:31, Jeff Westhead wrote:
> Does such a thing exist? There are a myriad of online domain testing
> tools but I’m looking for something deeper, that tests an
> implementation’s compliance to standards.
There is open-source test tool called Deckard which can mock DNS servers
and DNS clients. Right now it is used for testing Knot Resolver so its
test suite is focused on DNS resolver.

Conceptually the tool has two separate components: mock DNS server and
mock DNS client. It would be fairly easy to use e.g. just the DNS client
part for testing authoritative servers, we did some experiments with
Knot DNS and it worked.

The tool itself simulates network using lib socket_wrapper and is
independent on implementation internals, it works with Unbound and
PowerDNS rekurzor as well.

Details are in README:
https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/blob/master/README.rst

Contacts are here:
https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/wikis/home

Let me know if you need some help with it.

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC