[dns-operations] Historical data for TLD servers

Abdul Khader akhader at ies.etisalat.ae
Wed Dec 19 11:35:43 UTC 2018

Thanks everyone for the quick help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 19 December, 2018 3:31 PM
To: Abdul Khader <akhader at ies.etisalat.ae>
Cc: dns-operations at lists.dns-oarc.net
Subject: Re: [dns-operations] Historical data for TLD servers

> On 19 Dec 2018, at 10:47, Abdul Khader <akhader at ies.etisalat.ae> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to get historical data for certain TLD servers ?
> For example for .ae TLD servers I want last 3 months historical data.

Ask the .ae registry. They might or might have those data. They might or
might not make them available to you. It also depends on what you mean by
historical data: zone file? query traffic? That's something you can discuss
with the .ae registry too. You don't need to explain here what you mean.

ICANN requires gTLD registries to make their zone files available to anyone,
subject to a few obvious conditions and requestors signing a zone file
access agreement promising not to do naughty things with those data. I don't
know (or care) if they keep historical copies of those zone files. This
doesn't apply to ccTLDs because they don't have registry contracts with
ICANN. Some ccTLDs make their zone data available under certain conditions
according to their own policies. Others don't.