[dns-operations] [Ext] getcacheddhcpresultsforcurrentconfig

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Dec 14 21:32:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM Mauricio Vergara <mauricio.vergara at icann.org>
wrote:

> Hi Roy,
>
> Could it be an Android implementation carrying that over as an error?
> Found a few AbsWifiStateMachine.java sources on github with that same
> string:
>
> https://github.com/search?q=getcacheddhcpresultsforcurrentconfig&type=Code
>
> --
> Mauricio Vergara Ereche
> Lead DNS Engineer
> ICANN
>

> On 2018-12-14, 12:42, "dns-operations on behalf of Roy Arends" <
> dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of roy.arends at icann.org>
> wrote:
>
>     Has anyone observed the string “getcacheddhcpresultsforcurrentconfig”
> before?

    It is one of the most queried for top level domains by many different
> source addresses. My suspicion is that is configured as a search domain in
> some (equivalent of) resolv,conf on a widespread device.

Yes, been there, seen that...
Mauricio is correct -- this was something that was in older Android
codebases (e.g
https://github.com/dstmath/HWFramework/blob/42239b1b3bbbd7d208932b8ca0f01fe911ec37bd/Honor5C-7.0/src/main/java/com/android/server/wifi/HwWifiStateMachine.java).
I'd looked into this a few months back, and spoken with some of the Android
developers, and it had already been factored out of the codebase...

>     Thanks
>
>     Roy Arends

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf