[dns-operations] Question for fellow users of RIPE ATLAS (broken/saturated probes or what?)

Moritz Muller moritz.muller at sidn.nl
Wed Dec 12 10:38:45 UTC 2018

I noticed that Gio analyses measurements where probes send multiple queries over time, whereas Jake carries out “one-off” measurements.

I carried out a one-off measurement to ns1.sidn.nl, which is unicast, from 500 probes in the Netherlands and I could reproduce Jake's observations. [1]

Too rule out some resolving issues, I repeated the same measurement, querying the IP address of ns1.sidn.nl directly.
But the results are the same [2].

So our first hypothesis was that only the first query takes a long time.
So we looked at the response time of the first queries of Gio's measurements to ns3.dns.nl, but even at the first query, old probes do not show higher response times. [3]

So my new theory is  that the issue lays in the scheduler of the one-off queries.
According to a blog post by RIPE [6], and mentioned in [5], one off measurements are started by the “eooqd" deamon whereas they use “eperd" to run continuous measurements.

So maybe older probes running in some issue with the eooqd deamon.

That means that the problems described in [4] and [5] are still valid, but at least the huge penalty seen by Jake is not a big problem for continuous measurements.

[1] https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/18086197/#!probes
[2] https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/18086767/#!probes
[3] https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/17927373/#!probes
[4] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2805789.2805796