[dns-operations] Question for fellow users of RIPE ATLAS (broken/saturated probes or what?)

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Dec 7 23:25:36 UTC 2018

On 07/12/2018 22:13, Jake Zack wrote:

Hi Jake,

> I've noticed that the first several thousand probes (probe ID's <
> ~6000) consistently return inaccurate/terrible/useless results to DNS tests.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?  Has anyone else reported it to RIPE ATLAS?  Any theories?

Probes with IDs less than 6000 are the first generation (v1) probes:

https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/probe-v1/

They have limited processing power, and have higher latency with any
kind of network measurement, including DNS. This limitation is mentioned
here:

https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/bugs/

I hope this helps you to understand what you're observing.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC