[dns-operations] DNS version request

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Dec 7 20:46:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:42 AM Ray Bellis <ray at isc.org> wrote:

> On 21/11/2018 16:36, Dave Lawrence wrote:
>
> > And in the case of CHAOS class queries like version.bind, they're
> > also handled local to the responding server.  While I won't make the
> > bold claim that there's no DNS server software out there that might
> > forward them to some other server, the ones I know of just handle it
> > in a separate path that never sees forwarding or recursing.
>
> There's plenty of ALGs in home CPE pretending to be a DNS server that
> blindly forward CH queries to the back-end resolver that they're
> configured to talk to.

... and I must admit, with much embarrassment, that that has tripped me up
once or twice. I've been at a hotel which was doing weird DNS stuff, but CH
records were passed through unmolested -- this made troubleshooting
trickier because I assumed the problem was elsewhere...

> Ray

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf