[dns-operations] DNS forwarder behavior on response with cname

Davey Song(宋林健) ljsong at biigroup.cn
Fri Dec 7 08:06:29 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I noticed my local resolver (set forwarder for . ) send queries for cname
after it received a response which contains cname in answer section.

For example when I dig A www.youku.com @my local resolver . It returns two
cname RR and A RR in answer section. It is observed that local resolver sent
a A query on the first cname : ipv6-aserver-heyi.m.taobao.com. The local
resolver response the client only after it got answer from the cname
response. It definite introduces a delay in between. Is it normal ?  which
RFC specify this or is it a implementation consideration? For what purpose ?

I paste the dig and configuration information below:

dig @192.168.0.212  <http://www.youku.com> www.youku.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.0-P2 <<>> @192.168.0.212  <http://www.youku.com>
www.youku.com

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.youku.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
 <http://www.youku.com> www.youku.com. 600 IN CNAME
ipv6-aserver-heyi.m.taobao.com.
ipv6-aserver-heyi.m.taobao.com. 600 IN CNAME ipv6-aserver-heyi.m.taobao.com.
gds.alibabadns.com.
ipv6-aserver-heyi.m.taobao.com.gds.alibabadns.com. 30 IN A 106.11.186.1

Bind 9.10.4:

options {

allow-recursion { any; };
allow-query {