[dns-operations] Registrar for .net and .com fails to accept an NS in .edu

John W.O'Brien obrienjw at upenn.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:38:11 UTC 2018

Good day DNS Operators,

I am having some trouble making uphs{1,2,3}.uphs.upenn.edu authoritative
for a number of domains in net and com. The registrar claims that the
name servers have to be "registered" but doesn't appear to provide a
mechanism for doing so. There is already appropriate glue in edu for the
upenn.edu NS, and in upenn.edu for the uphs.upenn.edu NS, and they are
all happily answering queries for those domains. I'm struggling to
understand what it means to be registered and how to do it.

Could someone wiser than I in the ways of registrars and TLD operators
shed some light on my predicament?

--
John W. O'Brien
University of Pennsylvania