[dns-operations] PowerDNS has not Cookie feature?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Sun Dec 2 15:07:29 UTC 2018

On 02/12/2018 14:10, Rubens Kuhl wrote:

Hi Rubens,

> Are you sure NSD, Knot DNS, Yadifa and Nominum ANS dont't have server-side IXFR ?

NSD does _not_ provide IXFR, because it does not do any journalling. NSD
as a slave can request IXFR though. But it always merges the IXFR back
into the zone, so it can never provide IXFR to a downstream.

Knot DNS _does_ provide IXFR, because it has a full and proper
journalling engine (based on LMDB). We use Knot DNS as a signer, and it
happily provides IXFR, and works VERY well. Knot DNS also has an
"ixfr-from-differences" mode, similar to BIND, where it can compute the
differences between two versions of a plain text zone, and record those
into its LMDB journal for providing IXFR.

Yadifa's documentation suggests that it can provide IXFR, but I've not
tried it, so I cannot say with certainty.

Nominum ANS also does extensive journalling, and can probably provide
IXFR, but again, I have no personal experience to speak of.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC