[dns-operations] DNSSEC and FIPS-140

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 13:03:24 UTC 2018

The only defined and IANA registered NSEC3 hash algorithm right now is
SHA-1. See Sections 3.1.1 and 11 in RFC 5155.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/dnssec-nsec3-parameters/dnssec-nsec3-parameters.xhtml#dnssec-nsec3-parameters-3

So I'm not sure what you're interpreting as using MD5. I don't use PowerDNS
in any context, so can't comment on it specifically.

Scott