[dns-operations] Private domains, X.509 certificates, and CAA records

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 10:58:51 UTC 2017

Very interesting. Good point.

An alternative to split-views might be rfc1918 style TLD(s) - i.e.
"guaranteed never to be made real" TLDs, or styles of TLDs.

If there was some "official" way to create private TLDs, then its
possible the certificate authorities would be happy to start issuing
certs for them.

The cabforum.org/internal-names policy is totally understandable, on the
basis they can never be sure any particular TLD won't, at some point,
become a real one, and then the cert may have been issued to the
"incorrect" (non-owning) party.

James