[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Chris Lee chris at datachaos.com.au
Thu Sep 7 14:56:53 UTC 2017

Indeed AD was still relatively green in 2003, times change and so has best
practices.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34981.active-directory-best-practices-for-internal-domain-and-network-names.aspx

"
Dummy DNS name vs official DNS name

In the past, lots of people chose to use a dummy, unofficial TLD
(top-level-domain) for their internal network, like domain.*lan*, domain
*.local* of domain*.internal* (and also domain.internalhost)

But this can get you in serious trouble. Because these names are not
supported by internet standards, the most important RFC on this is: RFC
2606 [image: Jump] <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606>(
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606 [image: Jump]
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606>) This RFC standard is very explicit on
choosing domain names for private testing and documentation"

Microsoft sum it up very succinctly today for anyone contemplating a fresh
AD domain...

"Microsoft strongly suggests to work with subdomains, within a publicly
registered TLD domain. Check: Creating Internal and External Domains op
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755946(WS.10).aspx [image:
Jump] <https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755946(WS.10).aspx>"