[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 11:36:51 UTC 2017

On 07/09/17 12:01, Jim Reid wrote:

>> On 7 Sep 2017, at 11:47, James Stevens <James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> "You shouldn't do that" does not appear to be working as a solution, no matter how correct it is as an answer.
>
> "Use this private* domain name/TLD/prefix" isn't going to work either. And for the same reasons.
>
> *for some definition of private/unique/reserved/whatever.

As I wrote in the message you quote, I would present the case of home
DSL routers to say it has worked for IPv4 address space.

People do, generally, use rfc1918 IP space instead of just picking
random numbers.

Imagine the chaos we would be having now, if each DSL router had a
different random subnet on it.

Clearly the passage of time, and habits of old, will mean that it would
take time to change current practice, but I'd be optimistic it could
make a difference.

Having a solution on offer would be more likely to lead to it being used
than not.

James