[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 10:47:22 UTC 2017

On 06/09/17 18:23, Dave Warren wrote:
> You could simply buy a domain, assign no (external) nameservers at all,
> and use it without fear of any conflict. This is the only safe option
> that doesn't rely on third parties to be consistent over time.

Right - and yet people, in vast numbers, do NOT do this - and I would
suggest that ignorance, cost, and having to renew, are probably the most
common reasons why not.

However, they /do/ use rfc1918 IPs for private LANs instead of just
grabbing someone else's, or some random unallocated, IPv4 space.

Yes, rfc1918 can cause collision problems, but it has also solved a lot
of problems, probably far more than it has caused.

In many ways, quite a few of the issues described around rfc1918 are
more a reflection of the general lack of IPv4 address space as anything
else --- but that *really* is going off-topic.

Every home LAN has a DHCP server and rfc1918 private address space -
according to this "correct" solution every home should be buying a
public name space to use on that LAN.

Realistically, I do not ever see this happening - instead, until there
is an alternative, they will continue to squat on arbitrary TLDs ("lan",
"home", "easydsl" etc) that can end up causing extra load at the ROOT
servers and collision issued for new TLDs.

"You shouldn't do that" does not appear to be working as a solution, no
matter how correct it is as an answer.

James