[dns-operations] HSM recommendations

Marc Groeneweg Marc.Groeneweg at sidn.nl
Wed Sep 6 17:07:09 UTC 2017

All,

As stated before we are happy with our Luna’s. But to be quite honest, I am not sure if the HSM manufacturers are going in the same direction as we do as DNSSEC operators. Support of new algorithms are slow (ECDSA support is minimal, let’s not talk about the new Edwards curve algorithms). And also, I find their commitment towards DNSSEC much less, then was the case 5-6 years ago. So, this worries me.

I like the CrypTech project very much, but without our financial support from (like this) community, it won’t see a maturity as we have with the current HSM in the market today. Features like high availability, networked devices, and horizontal scaling for optimizing signing speeds are necessary to run our TLD business…

My 2 cents,
Marc