[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Suzanne Woolf suzworldwide at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 16:14:32 UTC 2017

On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>> Funny, we just had a long discussion in an IETF working group about
>> that :-)
>>

> ... and just for completeness,  it is this document:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-internal-00

In fairness, the discussion about special use names has proceeded somewhat sporadically in the DNSOP working group in the IETF for quite a long time now, and Warren's document addresses the specific use case we've been discussing but hardly touches on the full breadth of the topic.

Outcomes of that discussion have also included https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-08.txt, which attempts to describe the complexities regarding "special use domain names" (and will shortly be published as an Informational RFC). The TL;DR version of the discussion is that there are several use cases for domain names and significant subtleties come out of trying to make them interoperate.

Some issues are just like the challenges with RFC 1918 IP addresses; some are different, at least in part because people care both about having domain names that are unique within a particular scope, and about which names those are-- short strings, or "words," or IDNs. (IP addresses are fixed length and people are usually, although not always, indifferent to which numbers they get, aside from concerns of routability and aggregatability.)

> Note that this might be a horrendous idea, but people have been asking
> for something like this for years, and simply squatting on strings
> (.home, .corp, .mail, .network, .server, etc) because they don't have
> a safe place to do $whatever.

Part of the challenge is that domain names aren't used only in DNS. Another part is that the DNS protocol assumes a global or default context for resolution, so it's hard to indicate what "local" means.

Endless fun…. :(

Suzanne