[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Sep 6 15:22:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> Funny, we just had a long discussion in an IETF working group about
> that :-)

... and just for completeness,  it is this document:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-internal-00

Basically, it would be asking for .internal to be reserved for RFC1918
type usage, with the full understanding that if will have the same
types of issues that RFC1918 has -- as pointed out below, it wouldn't
be unique (duh) and so if multiple organizations using it were to
merge you'll get collisions, etc.

Note that this might be a horrendous idea, but people have been asking
for something like this for years, and simply squatting on strings
(.home, .corp, .mail, .network, .server, etc) because they don't have
a safe place to do $whatever.