[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 14:28:00 UTC 2017

>> A TLD that is not in the ROOT zone gives an added level of comfort -
>> especially for those higher up the management chain for whom an
>> understanding of the DNS might be less clear.
>
> To state that less charitably, it seems like you are suggesting that
> the unified-root structure of the DNS is supposed to have additional
> pointless warts on it in order to make ignorant managers happy.  I am
> not convinced that is a goal for which we ought to fool with the
> structure of a globally shared resource.

Many are well aware of the RFC1918 IPs for use on a private LAN.

I just wanted to know it there was an equivalent for DNS - other than
what is documented in RFC-6761

Domains with no NS in the parent zone become harder to discover & get
data about. This is true of any sub-domain in a TLD, but registering a
name for that purpose involves (1) an annual cost & risk this will fail
to be done at some point and (2) finding a registrar who will allow this.

Creating a sub-domain in a domain that was used for something else,
would likely create confusion for future engineers, in a way that (say)
a universally known "unregistered" prefix like "zz--" would not - in the
same way that all network engineers understand the implications when
they see an RFC1918 IP.

If there was already a mechanism, I would find it useful to know about
it. If there isn't, I wanted to express my opinion that I would find it
useful.

I meant nothing else.

>> updating - but it may be carrying data that I wouldn't want in the public
>> domain.
>
> Then it is the wrong tool for your job.

There can often be information some operating systems automatically put
in their DNS you wouldn't want in the public domain.