[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Leo Vandewoestijne dnsoperations_leo at dns.company
Wed Sep 6 11:36:32 UTC 2017

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017, Jim Reid wrote:

> > On 6 Sep 2017, at 10:28, James Stevens <James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Apart from those in RFC-6761, is there any TLD, or format of TLD, that can be used for private use that is guaranteed never to be allocated?
>
> No.
>
> There's just no way of knowing for sure what names IETF might one day add to a reserved list. Or what TLD strings will or won't get created by ICANN. If you are able to do that, your talents could be put to better use buying winning lottery tickets in advance.

In the Dutch language one method of creating a standards is doing things collectively wrong...
Now in the wild I've seen many .local's and I think Windows creates localhost.localdomain.

Therefor I guess -with more certainty than a lottery- that "localdomain" is the most unlikely domain to ever get into collosion with a real TLD.
...but I don't do future forecasts nor fortune-telling (and neither I truly encourage doing unrecommended things).

When searching on dot local I noticed in the djbdns manual was using "numeric LAN TLD's".
https://cr.yp.to/djbdns/dot-local.html
Since the existence of IP's also very unlikely to become ICANN allocated TLD.

--

Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,

Leo Vandewoestijne