[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

James Stevens James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 09:28:23 UTC 2017

Apart from those in RFC-6761, is there any TLD, or format of TLD, that
can be used for private use that is guaranteed never to be allocated?

I'm guessing dot-ZZ might fit that criterion, on the basis no country
will ever get it, but I was hoping for something that was a bit more
officially endorsed.

Until now I've been using names with a "zz--" prefix, e.g. "zz--data.",
more on the basis of probability of lack of future allocation, but would
prefer to use something more official.

Or is the correct procedure to be using something like "data.invalid."?

I'm thinking of situations like using DNS to distribute data, or for the
names of local LANs - I can envisage a lot of support calls if I used
"invalid." for local LANs.

James