[dns-operations] RFC 8145 section 5 queries hidden behind CZ.NIC public resolver

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Tue Oct 10 06:25:00 UTC 2017

On 5.10.2017 18:50, George Michaelson wrote:
> what ratio? what % of total unique IPs seen per sample interval?

I believe that it is irrelevant, the number of RFC 8145 clients in
previous e-mail represent detail of single data point in presentation
https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/27/session/1/contribution/11

Moreover, most of the clients here are likely not recursives but stubs.

Anyway, here are number of unique IP addresses per day:

  82409 2017-08-31
 111806 2017-09-01
  12085 2017-09-02
  48486 2017-09-03
 128731 2017-09-04
 189340 2017-09-05
 110486 2017-09-06
  12731 2017-09-07
  12393 2017-09-08
  11469 2017-09-09
  11738 2017-09-10
  12677 2017-09-11
  12677 2017-09-12
  83320 2017-09-13
 115391 2017-09-14
  23320 2017-09-15
  13264 2017-09-16
  11932 2017-09-17
  13006 2017-09-18
  28351 2017-09-19
  13048 2017-09-20
  12976 2017-09-21
  15709 2017-09-22
  12875 2017-09-23
  15717 2017-09-24
  14438 2017-09-25
  16015 2017-09-26
  15414 2017-09-27
  14075 2017-09-28
  16337 2017-09-29
  11125 2017-09-30

My hypothesis for high variations is:
DDoS attacks trying to use the resolver as amplifier.

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC