[dns-operations] Domain Name System without Root Servers

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Oct 3 15:44:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldwide at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Oct 3, 2017, at 4:10 AM, Daniel Karrenberg <dfk at ripe.net> wrote:
> >

> > On 03/10/2017 00:01, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >> (because they would distribute a
> >> compilation of NS and DS records in the software).
> >
> > That's what I consider too complicated in the paper. Just distribute a
> > complete copy of the root zone and include code that fetches it from a
> > choice of sources using arbitrary protocols.
>
> One of the reasons why I wanted to see the root zone signed and DNSSEC
> validation code widely available is that even if it weren’t in everyday,
> in-band use, it could be used to validate root zone data. Root servers went
> from being a protocol element (source of truth for bootstrapping) to being
> an optimization (get the data there if you didn’t have a better way, but
> you can decide whether to believe data you have without caring how you got
> it).
>
> This is simple partly because of some assumptions we can make about the
> root zone— that it’s relatively small and relatively static— but it would
> have to be a lot larger and more dynamic before there was a problem with
> this approach even with relatively limited resources in the resolver

​I did some modelling looking at the possible outcomes.​ The root
infrastructure is currently outside ICANN control which is one of the few
practical checks on the organization. There is also the peculiarity that we
have this massive 'kick me' target at the center of the Internet
architecture. To first order, none of the root traffic is legitimate. It is
all abuse. Legitimate traffic is noise on the noise.

For the root server to get larger, ICANN would have to reduce the cost of
TLDs dramatically and contract with a registrar to operate it. They would
likely maximize their rents at between $500 and $1000 (every product I have
been involved with at a unit price point less than that made loadsa money,
 every product costing more cost more to make than it brought in).

The problem I see with the analysis here is that either the root zone is a
few thousand domains or it is tens of millions. There is no middle ground.
Open up registrations for $500 TLDs and the sales on the first day alone
would be $1 billion. Register a few thousand domains and people might think
that they have meaning. Register a few million and it becomes clear that
microsoft.poop is not the Redmond club.

​Fortunately, there are infrastructures that could easily support those
capacities. BitCoin is a very silly currency scheme but the architecture is
easily capable of supporting a root zone of a billion names and no, it is
not necessary to do proof of work to run a linked notary log.

All we need to do to make this happen is to redefine DNS registration so
that the cryptography becomes primary. If you can tell people 'oops, you
lost your private key, your name went bye-bye' you can eliminate a vast
amount of cost from the systems.

> > Will this split the root? It would have a number of years ago. But today
> > we are comfortable with DNSSEC and can validate delegations. So a
> > resolver does not need to trust the source of the root zone because it
> > can validate each delegation in that zone.
>
> Exactly. If you want a split root, you can have it, but then, you always
> could. Simplicity of resolution isn’t the only reason why people want a
> unified, consistent root zone; in fact I suspect it really goes the other
> way around— people want a unified, consistent root available (even when
> it’s not the only thing they want, as in the case of split-horizon or mixed
> DNS/mDNS environments or "special use" names like .onion), so implementers
> and operators will continue to make it easy for them to have one.

​I really wish that the IAB had focused some attention on issues such as
split DNS and NAT rather than allowing anyone trying to discuss them
seriously being attacked as spawn of the devil.

​We really need a new DNS client protocol to replace recursive resolver
that has authentication and authorization built in from the start.