[dns-operations] Domain Name System without Root Servers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Oct 3 07:01:22 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 06:32:09PM -0700,
 Daniel Karrenberg <dfk at ripe.net> wrote
 a message of 42 lines which said:

> Methinks we could do even better by just loading the whole root zone
> into resolvers.

Isn't it what RFC 7706 document?

> As this paper shows nicely lameness will be very limited even if a
> resolver operator chooses to do this only every couple of weeks. No
> protocol changes needed. No IETF politics and over-engineering. No
> special action by TLD operators. No ICANN process required.

One important thing about the paper I mentioned is that, if
implemented, it would introduce a shift in root governance: from ICANN
to resolvers authors/packagers (because they would distribute a
compilation of NS and DS records in the software).