[dns-operations] Request for prior announcement of Root KSK Rollover critical time

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Oct 2 20:21:15 UTC 2017

On 19 Sep 2017, at 7:08, Wessels, Duane wrote:

>> On Sep 14, 2017, at 5:59 PM, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On September 19 you can expect the root zone to be published at 1400
>> UTC.
>
> Root zone serial 2017091900, containing 4 DNSKEYs for the first time,
> has been pushed to all root name servers.

To close the loop on this:

ICANN carefully tracked the likely side-effects of the increase in size
of the root's DNSKEY RRset to its highest value. We got streams of data
from most of the root operators for indicators such as query rates for
DNSKEY, total query rate, TCP query rate, truncation, and ICMP status
messages, and we saw no indication of significant problems that started
with the introduction of the new DNSKEY RRset.

--Paul Hoffman