[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Nov 22 13:43:21 UTC 2017

On 20 November 2017 at 13:08, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>

>> On 20 November 2017 at 07:40, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net
>> <mailto:jgreco at ns.sol.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     So a reasonable question might be, is there something that could be
>> done
>>     to make threat filtering by those of us who operate recursion servers
>>     an easier thing to do?
>>
>> I think all it takes is name server software that implements RPZ, and an
>> affordable data source.  The implication in Quad9's marketing is that
>> the "affordable" part isn't there, but I don't know one way or another
>> how valid that is.
>>

> there are some free feeds. see https://dnsrpz.info/ for details.
>
> but the primary use case of DNS RPZ is to operate your own local filter
> using your own investigative resources to decide what not to resolve.

Sure, but that's not really feasible for most recursive operators, and
basically impossible for anything smaller than a large business.  If
everyone is going to run their own RDNS, then the solution needs to be
implementable by an individual.

I've looked a that page before, and followed the links to reputation
providers' listed pages.  It was unclear who, if anyone, could provide free
feeds to individuals or small business.   Good to know that someone does.
Could you elaborate on who?