[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Mon Nov 20 06:42:25 UTC 2017

On 18/11/2017, 10:41, Paul Vixie	typed:

> i am curious; perhaps you'd be willing to help me.
>

> when i do want filtering i use opendns, because their anycast was built some years ago and it's extremely stable and mature.

I can help, just for this use case: "When you (or I) do want filtering".

The following applies when, a) someone is away from their own local resolver (or doesn't have one) and, b) *does* have a need for filtering...

.. And, c) when the person is located *outside* of the US/Wesrern Europe.

OpenDNS's anycast network does seem to have one node in Johannesburg now, but apart from that there is no coverage elsewhere in Africa (West, North, etc), and also none in Latin American region, the Caribbean or the Middle East.

For now, for the locations I mostly frequent, quad9 has way better coverage.

Thanks,
Daniel