[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Sun Nov 19 17:17:17 UTC 2017

On 19 Nov 2017, at 3:47, Noel Butler wrote:

> On 19/11/2017 04:47, Dave Warren wrote:
>
>> Given the fact that so many large providers, popular sites, and CDNs
>> use DNS records with very short TTLs, I find slow DNS responses to
>> have a noticeable impact on the enduser webbrowsing experience.
>>
>> 200ms is into the range that users may notice, especially considering
>> that most sites load resources from multiple hosts, many such
>> requests include blocking resources.
>
> Back when working in a DSL based national ISP in Australia, based in
> Brisbane, there was an extra 30ms or so from other side of country
> (Sth
> and Western Aus in particular), anycasting our caching servers in
> those
> other states PoP's, made a world of difference to them, how one can
> just
> rely on 170-200ms is beyond me, it would be worse than going back to
> 2400baud dialup days.

if your path is brisbane -> sydney (and onwards), and you’re not
hitting the quad9 nodes in sydney, like, at least, one other person
here, then it’s likely that you (if it’s your network,) or your
provider aren’t seeing, or acting on, the route adverts in syd (or
per, or..).   since debugging sub-optimal peering is decidedly outside
the scope of dns-ops, i’ll ping you off-list to debug more.

--n.