[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Sat Nov 18 08:11:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> even though i believe quad9's published privacy policy, just as i believe
> google's for 8.8.8.8 and cisco/umbrella's for opendns, i do not trust all
> of the ISP's between me and them, and all of the telco's they buy service
> from, not to data mine my queries.

Your argument that you don't trust the ISPs between you and
Google/OpenDNS/Quad9, and therefore run your own local recursive resolver,
confuses me.  After all, your local recursive needs to query third-party
authoritative servers anyway.

To convince yourself, answer these two questions:
  - How many ISPs are between you and 8.8.8.8?  I'm on Comcast, and they
have direct peering with Google, so the number is zero.
  - How many ISPs are between you and the average authoritative DNS server
you need to reach?  I'm guessing that number is non-zero.

Or did I misunderstand what you meant about the ISPs/telcos between you and
the third-party rDNS providers?

Damian