[dns-operations] Cleaning up glue with dynamic DNS updates

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Sun Mar 19 10:19:13 UTC 2017

On 19/03/2017 02:31, Doug Barton wrote:

Hello Doug,

>> Oh, I have considered the setup where I have to remember what I added,
>> in some persistent storage,
>
> You mean, perhaps, something like the DNS?
>
> How do you propose to reliably delete the NS records in the first place
> if you don't know what they are?

If a zone, example.com, contains the following:

a.ns.sub.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
b.ns.sub.example.com. A 192.0.2.2
sub.example.com. NS a.ns.sub.example.com.
sub.example.com. NS b.ns.sub.example.com.
sub.example.com. NS ns1.example.net.
sub.example.com. NS ns2.example.net.
sub.example.com. DS <rdata2>
sub.example.com. DS <rdata2>

Then, I can send a dynamic update like this to delete all NS and DS records:

zone example.com.
update del sub.example.com
send

This deletes the 4 NS and 2 DS records. However, the in-zone glue
records can be one two, three or any number of labels deep. My question
is, is there any dynamic update that can remove sub.example.com *and*
all names below it, if I don't already know what those names are?

Regards,
Anand