[dns-operations] Bulk whois/zone file access

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun Mar 19 04:13:48 UTC 2017

> It's not so much the czds set up, it's that it does not support a bunch of
> tlds. It isn't a one stop shop and the other TLDs (com/net/org/biz/info/us)
> don't scale with what CZDS does. Please correct me if your experience
> differs.

Before the new TLD round, you had to apply separately to each TLD for zone
file access, typically filling out the form and e-mailing them a PDF.
They'd send back credentials, usually for FTP, in a few cases https, and
for tiny .MUSEUM, axfr.  The agreement said it was for three months but in
practice once you're set up, it's renewed forever unless you do something
naughty.  Some of the new TLDs added in the 2000s ignored zone file
requests until I got ICANN on their cases and for a while I was the only
person outside ICANN with access to all of the gTLD zone files.

When the new TLD round was starting up, it was obvious this wouldn't
scale, so an informal group got together to invent what became CZDS.  We
decided on common application criteria, and a common profile for the zone
file format.  (That took a while because some wanted to say "use master
files" which is too vague, and others wanted them preprocessed in various
ways.  We ended up with a profile of master files that's intended to be
easy to parse.)

My suggestion for the credentials was for ICANN to vet the applicants,
issue the credentials, and send them to all the registries so clients
would have a list of FTP or whatever servers for all the registries and
use the same credentials with each.  They sort of did that, only they also
provide a central server which redistributes the zone files.

Since then some of the small 2000s TLDS like .coop and .cat and .museum
moved to CZDS, but the big ones still have their own FTP servers.  The
problems with CZDS are from registries who have the odd idea that their
zone files are valuable proprietary info and so try to make it as hard as
they can to get their zones, using a variety of annoying tricks you've
likely run into, starting with requiring a new application every three
months.

ICANN has no control over ccTLDs, so it's entirely up to them if they
distribute zone files.  The .US file is available via FTP with an ICANN
style application, the .SE and .NU files from a public web server, and the
rest not at all unless they happen to leave a name server open for AXFR.

R's,
John