[dns-operations] DNS-over-TLS in public resolvers

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Mar 6 20:05:23 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:47:41AM -0500,
>  Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com> wrote
>  a message of 335 lines which said:
>
> > Now you might think that given that I work for a company that has
> > one of the public resolvers you would like to see change and you are
> > the person asking me for the favor, that maybe you might want to
> > take your own advice.
>
> One of the authors of RFC 7858 works for the same company. So this
> argument from authority "I work for V. therefore everyone should agree
> with me" is debatable.

​None of us speaks for our employers. and certainly not when we are saying
anything that might be taken as a commitment to deploy a new product or
service.

However, over the years, there are many, many instances in which people
employed by company X worked on a spec that was not subsequently deployed
at company X.

I have never ever encountered a situation in which an employee of company X
has said that 'Y is a show stopper issue for us, we cannot deploy unless it
is addressed' and company Y has subsequently deployed.

Situations in which Y is addressed by passage of time and Moore's law do
not count.