[dns-operations] Stop marking TLD's NS server as EDNS-incapable

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Mar 6 11:30:17 UTC 2017

In message <20170306105511.5680aa6a at pallas.home.time-travellers.org>, Shane Kerr writes:
> Ralf,
>
> At 2017-03-06 08:46:02 +0100
> "Ralf Weber" <dns at fl1ger.de> wrote:
>
> > Moin!
> >=20
> > On 6 Mar 2017, at 3:40, Davey Song wrote:
> > > I concluded it here that the EDNS fallback is proposed for good. But=20
> > > it may
> > > introduce false positives due to temporary network failure or=20
> > > malicious
> > > manipulations. Once the name server of certain TLD like .com and .net=20
> > > are
> > > marked EDNS-incapable , it will become a disaster for validating=20
> > > resolvers. =20
> > That highly depends on the resolver implementation, however IMHO in your
> > example it is shown that DNSSEC works as intended and detects spoofing=20
> > of
> > DNS records. Resolvers following
> > 	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-resolver-update-00
> > or
> > 	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7816
> > might produce quite different results, though they also will detect the
> > DNS spoofing if they validate.
>
> Unfortunately if an attacker can send spoofed packets and trigger the
> EDNS downgrade, that will effectively prevent a resolver from using the
> authority servers for some time. That seems like a cheap (for the
> attacker) and difficult to diagnose (for the defender) DoS to me.

Off path attacks still need to get through port randomisation and
qid randomisation.  This is a state level on path attack.

> I don't see any real way to prevent this problem other than channel
> authentication though. Moving to TCP instead of disabling EDNS might be
> a reasonable workaround with current technology though.
>
> Ironically if the Great Firewall was smarter and only modified queries
> going to Facebook's actual name servers then there would be no
> problems.

Which would defeat the purpose of the firewall.

> I suspect that the Chinese government is quite happy for
> these operational problems with DNSSEC to encourage operators to
> disable it.

The Great Firewall is on path.  If resolvers generally move to TCP,
China will adapt and target TCP requests as well.

Not marking servers as not supporting EDNS on plain responses to
EDNS queries should be enough which is what that patch does.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org