[dns-operations] Open source release of the DNS-STATS Compactor

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Jun 22 13:06:50 UTC 2017

On 06/22/17 11:08, Jim Hague wrote:
> and you won't see the expected number of packets. It looks to me that if
> there's more a gap of about 50 milliseconds or more between packets,
> you'll lose the first packet after the gap.
>
> Judging by the timing of the printed output, a waiting select() on the
> PCAP handle exits on receipt of a new packet, but a subsequent call to
> to pcap_next_ex() or pcap_dispatch() does not find the packet.

I ran this on a Debian 8.7 VM and your test code does not capture all
packets when using dispatch().

I then downloaded pcap-thread and ran hexdump (small example program
included in the repository) without threads which means it does
select()/dispatch() and it saw all packets.

So my guess is that you've missed something and hopefully this is not a
major issue.

/Jerry