[dns-operations] Denying Whois DB by GeoIP

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jun 9 16:07:22 UTC 2017

> On 9 Jun 2017, at 15:56, Patrik Fältström <paf at frobbit.se> wrote:
>
> On May 25 2018 ICANN Community must know what they should request registries and registrars to do where one or more of registry, registrar, registrant is under EU Jurisdiction. Or more precisely, registries and registrars must at that point in time have implemented whatever they have to implement.

It’s not that simple either. Different jurisidictions and Data Protection Authorities in the EU take different approaches to Data Protection legislation even though it’s all underpinned by the same EU Directive. That means what’s “legal” for whois data in one EU member state can be “illegal” in another.*

I know you know this Patrik. Others on this list probably don’t.

[*And this is before we consider the craziness of an island off the North Sea which will probably implement GDPR even though it’s supposedly leaving the EU. But will be obliged to comply with all EU directives so it can remain in the single market. Allegedly. Provided it can negotiate exit terms. Allegedly.]