[dns-operations] Denying Whois DB by GeoIP

dmblumenthal at gmail.com dmblumenthal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:29:06 UTC 2017

Registration through proxy and privacy has been available for a long time. The recent ICANN activities concerned establishing an  accreditation system for p/p service providers. The projected timeline for implementation is the end of 2018. FWIW, here is the policy working group’s final report: https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/raa/ppsai-final-07dec15-en.pdf.

Most ICANN Internet policy work happens through volunteers (I have been one of them for awhile and the concept still baffles me), so we all are self appointed. The working group has zealots on both extremes related to public access to registration data. It also has folks on a continuum from the extremes to the center. That type usually results in WGs producing reasonable consensus recommendations.

Maybe all or parts of this was TMI. I have been in the registration data wars since 1998. Sometimes I can’t stop myself.