[dns-operations] Emoji "Female" symbol fails to resolve at Google's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Jul 13 16:54:40 UTC 2017

In article <f3ebf48a-cbdd-8d12-6df0-0158df248830 at jrcs.co.uk> you write:
>I'm sure you're right - Patrik is widely respected for all the work he
>does, and has done in the past - I'm sure its just an issue of presentation.
>
>But as someone who is not closely familiar with the issues, and the ways
>these different organisations interact, I was slightly confused.

There is a lot of pressure from the usual parties within ICANN to
allow emjoi 2LDs in ICANN-contracted gTLDs.  Look, they say, there
are emoji in .la and .ws and the world has not come to an end, and
our business plan.

The SSAC recently published a document about the reasons why it's
still a bad idea (beyond the fact that IDNA says no) to push back on
that.

We'd completely forgotten about the pre-2003 symbol domains in .com
but they don't change anything since nobody I can see uses them as
identifiers.

R's,
John