[dns-operations] DNS Violations (Was: Hall of DNS Shame (?))

Jan Včelák jv at fcelda.cz
Mon Jan 30 09:43:37 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> Is the primary purpose indeed (automated) "testing"?  I thought it was
> publicizing the issues in the hope that they would then be more likely
> to get fixed.  FWIW, the first pull request I've queued up is for
> long-standing issues.

I don't think publicising will help anything. If the DNS
operator/vendor was notified and didn't fix the problem yet, then it's
likely not a priority for them or there is something else preventing
application of the fix. And if we are expected to live with these
broken implementations then using the reports for automated testing
might be more constructive.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Jerry Lundström wrote:
> Absolutely valid points, would you consider making a pull request/issue
> for the format and perhaps participate as a maintainer of the list?

If the primary purpose is to publicise the issues, then sorry but no.
I don't want to participate on maintaining a shame list.
If the primary purpose is to build more resilient DNS clients, then I
might consider creating a PR adding .dnstap files for the current
reports.

Jan