[dns-operations] DNS Violations (Was: Hall of DNS Shame (?))

Jan Včelák jv at fcelda.cz
Thu Jan 26 22:51:08 UTC 2017

I appreciate this attempt to collect malformed and non-compliant
form is not really usable for automated testing and makes me question
usability of this project. Natural language description and evidence
[sic.] in hexdump makes this look like a shame list.

I'm sorry for CloudFlare that they appeared on the list [1] just a few
hours after the issue was discovered [2]. I wonder if they were
notified before the commit was created #hugops. At the same time, this
is not really a violation but rather a simple bug in the processing
logic.

So please, consider including query and response in pcap/dnstap
format. And also be reasonable when submitting pull requests. DNS is
difficult, we all know that, so let's try to give some helpful
guidance to those who decided to write their own piece of software.
And not just "blame violators".

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DNS-OARC/dns-violations/6a44ca3d6c44d8286596b7946228c3d704c0ee59/2017/DVE-2017-0008.md
[2] https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2017-January/098224.html

Jan