[dns-operations] On changing the system

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Tue Dec 12 17:45:41 UTC 2017

Greetings. Yesterday, David Conrad said:

I strongly suspect you’re preaching to the choir on this mailing list: the folks from the registries who participate in DNS-OARC are not likely to be found anywhere near the top of Symantec’s list or others like the ICANN org’s own DNS Abuse Analytics and Reporting (DAAR) list of abused registries.  While preaching to the choir may build a pleasing sense of camaraderie, I’m not sure it does all that much to change things. I will note there is an ongoing effort to discuss the next round of new gTLDs (known as the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process, see https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/new-gtld-subsequent-procedures). I personally believe it would be important for the operational community, in particular both the DNS and security/anti-abuse operational communities, to provide input, early and often, that will help that policy development process incorporate lessons learned from those communities.

This was followed by folks offering comments on problems with the current round of new gTLDs.

Please note that comments made on this list will have no direct effect on the ongoing effort to discuss the next round of new gTLDs that David describes above. It's like a few developers at a company commenting on problems with a particular DNS spec: if they don't participate in the spec-revision process, their problems won't be heard.

ICANN organization (staff) are not allowed to participate materially in policy development process, so we can't even say "some folks on dns-operations at dns-oarc.net are talking about this". If you want changes, you have to participate directly.

Speaking informally: I hope a lot more DNS operators and other technical folk participate in the process. I bet I'll like the result of that more than if they didn't.

--Paul Hoffman